Tuesday, March 08, 2005


I finally finished my first real sweater!! I've made some vests, but when I found the Incredible, Custom-fit Raglan Sweater by Pamela Costello at http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html I loved the whole concept and just had to try it. It is knit top down , on circular needles with no seams! So,you can try it on as you go! In the middle of making it on my Addi Turbos I acquired a set of Denise needles, and I just adored how I could snap together sections of cord to try on the sweater as it was being made, without having to slide the whole thing onto yarn and then back onto needles. That made the entire process a complete pleasure.The pattern is brilliant, and allows for complete customization, suiting my style of making stuff up as I go along. The yarn was Schaefer Yarns Elaine, 99% Merino wool and 1% nylon, and miracle of miracles ( to me!) it is not itchy! In fact, this is the first wool sweater I've ever owned, being phobic about wool since infancy. My mom tells the story of me screaming and flailing about as an infant in a new wool garment--and I refused ever towear it again. Now, at 49 years old, I have discovered the pleasure of Merino wool. And I'm hopelessly addicted...

No comments: