Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gluten-Free Magic Cookie Bars

As it is Thanksgiving, here in the USA, I thought it appropriate to say Thank You to my readers by sharing something delicious! After being gluten-free for several years, I find it is always fun to try to replicate favorite recipes without changing them overly much. For years my favorite cookies were on the back of the Eagle Brand Condensed Milk can, but the graham-cracker crust has wheat in it...so, this year I decided to see if I could make a gluten-free version. So, here it is!
Gluten-Free Magic Cookie Bars ( makes 2 dozen bars)

2 cups Rice Chex, smushed
1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter
1 (14oz) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups ( 12 oz) semi-sweet Ghiradelli chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut ( sweetened is fine)
1 cup chopped walnuts


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1/2 stick of butter in 13x9 inch baking
pan, and put in oven until butter melts.
2.Sprinkle Rice Chex evenly over melted butter in pan
3.Layer chocolate chips, then walnuts, then coconut over Chex and butter.
4.Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the whole thing by using a can
opener to punch 2 holes, and in criss-cross weaving pattern, layer milk over
top of coconut.
5. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars. Store
covered at room temperature or freeze to deter immediate devouring of the whole plate of cookies.
To unfreeze, leave out for 1/2 hour on a plate. Calories: 205 each.
If you cut them in half, then it is only 100 calories each, and you can eat twice as many! Plus, they are full of omega 3s and antioxidants from the nuts and chocolate...what's not to like?

Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Bree said...

I’m allergic to gluten and finding tasty dishes that are easy to make for the

holidays have been hard to come by. Going off of a recommendation of a vegan

family member, I looking into a site run by Rose Cole (Certified Nutrition

Coach). The site is www.RoseCole.com/HolidayCookbook and trust me these

holiday recipes are AMAZING!

Susan Schrott, Artist said...

I can attest to this recipe being UNBELIEVABLE!!! Jeri
thanks for sharing it with us all....these cookie bars are out of this world.

Denise said...

I am newly diagnosed with Celiac disease and TRYING to get used to the diet. This recipe is AMAZING and may just save my sanity this holiday season. Many, many thanks for sharing.

Melody Johnson said...

I LOVE Rice Chex!! I will definitely give this a try as I always make the regular version of this every season. Yippee!

Karen said...

Greyston Bakery in Yonkers makes the most amazing gluten free chocolate chip cookies. I've often found that gluten free means I need a little palate adjustment--these might as well be grandmas homemade. www.greystonbakery.com for anyone who is interested. (Disclaimer--I used to work for Greyston but I don't anymore. And if I was still working there and these cookies were bad, I wouldn't have let them sell them).

Unknown said...

Anyone have some great almond flour recipes?