Friday, May 04, 2018

Washing out


Front view, finished!
Back view

So, the washout with cellulosic dyes (on linen, cotton, rayon) is a long process. I generally wait the 24 hours to cure, then rinse in gradually warmer water, then do a hot wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid, then hot rinse. This seemed to take forever, and I finally threw the whole thing ( vest, 2 sckein scarves, 2 yards of fabric) into my washer, with some regular detergent, and ran it on hot. This yarn, after all, is advertised as machine washable, so...

Laceweight skein
When i removed it from the wash, I was disappointed by the amount of lint that was shed by the yarn, and the fibers everywhere. I was really worried I had ruined it! But after drying in the dryer for a bit, and unraveling the extra at the top and finishing the shoulders, I hung everything to dry overnight, and was very pleased in the morning! The green did not take as well as I had hoped, and there were a couple of white spots where somehow the dye did not penetrate ( despite pre-washing), but on the whole, some success! I hope to do more of this this summer, and to write up the pattern for the Jonquil Vest..

No comments: