Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Scarf Attack, part 2

Here it is, December 23rd, and I have finished 2 scarves, with 1/2 of the third one done. What happened? Well, it turns out that knitting on large gauge needles ( size 11s) gives me a case of Knitter's Elbow, and the neck pain to go with it. Oy. Something about the way I knit at that gauge sets off pain in the small muscles of my forearms. But I have the yarn, the idea, and the deadline. But the flesh won't cooperate. I can knit for 1/2 hour, and then the pain sets in. Pushing it only makes it worse. Rest is the only cure, but how long can you rest? How to get these done? Frustration is setting in!
I finished the second one by a combination of resting for a week, then limiting the time to 20 minutes at a clip, changing to 14 inch straight needles so I could rest the needles on my lap, using cushions to prop up my elbows. Neck exercises and hanging my head over the side of the bed with my head suspended in my hands helped a bunch, as well as Advil and heat.
Here are the scarves so far:

The middle one is Lauren's Scarf: A double Moss pattern with 1x1 ribbing cable. I like the fluffiness of this pattern, and it is a snuggly scarf, same size as the green one. The purple one is Kaitlin's Scarf, but it is half done. It is also Double Moss on the sides, but here the cable is 2x2 ribbing. I think it makes a more raised cable, and it is easier to work with the Double moss, as the whole thing is K2,P2. I like all of the patterns, I just can't knit with such large needles!
Meanwhile, for breaks, I resumed knitting a top-down cardigan version of St Brigid which I'd begun last winter and put aside as the weather warmed up. This is on size 6 needles, and for some reason doesn't hurt my arms! I can knit on this one for 3 hours at a clip ( with short breaks, of course). Very odd. But I'm glad I can do something! It would be very hard if I had to stop knitting entirely. Shudder....

Anyway, I am going to try to finish that last scarf! Otherwise, she will get an IOU...
Next year I will remember why I don't knit to deadlines!

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Wow, what an interesting project! I like cables and I like to knit top down, but I'm afraid, I cann't do both at the same time! I would be happy to read detailed informations about knitting a cabled cardi top down! I think, there is no pattern on Ravelry about this, so you could have the chance do write the first one. So please: Do it....
Ingrid